Ryan's Marathon Training Blog - Part Deux

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My second blog home - Week 12 update

Welcome to my new blog location. I was off my game when signed up to have my blog move to Beta Blogger. You probably already read, but I cannot post comments with my login - and none of you can post to my old blog unless using anonymous.

Guess I need to read the fine print more closely. So I've created this second account to continue my training log.

Mon 9/4 - Labor Day - 8 miles with track intervals


Jen and I went to see Collective Soul in concert in Naperville on Sunday night. Their performance of the song "Run" seemed like an appropriate tune to equate to my training. It kept me out late enough to want to sleep in until 7:45 AM. The 7 beers had nothing to do with it, I swear.

9:00 AM -- Monday was a Pfitz speed day. Again, the nearest HS track was locked up (bastards!) - and I was lucky that the Central HS was open. I warmed up with 5 miles at a EZ pace (guessing 8:30's). Then I hit the track.

I followed the Pfitz plan to do 5 x 600m repeats at 5k pace with 90 sec's jog in between.

My latest (and best 5k) was a 19:32. In my head at the track, I calculated that I would need to run my 600m intervals 2:32. Now, with calculator in hand, I realized my math was off by 10 seconds. My 5k pace would be a 2:22 600m interval.

I thought I was well ahead of my 5k interval pace with the times below, but in retrospect realize I was slightly behind for a couple of them. No wonder I didn't feel tested! I could have run these faster, but was trying to keep to pace.

2:25
2:24
2:22
2:22
2:20

After the intervals, I finished up with 6 easy 400m laps at 2:00 per lap. Total for the day was about 8 miles.

Tue 9/5 - 11 mile Med-Long run

6:00 AM -- Beautifully cool weather again. Don't you love September running? Low 60's and no humidity.

In summary, I ran for 1:28 with a short water stop at home after 3.5 miles. I have confidence in my "feel" of pace and again am estimating 8 min pace. Could have been slightly faster even. After the short stop, I ran for over an hour straight. No stopping. Kept moving. I felt slightly tired toward the end, but I finished reasonably strong.

My Garmin is en route, people. Expected delivery is on Friday. My training reports will be packed with stats like the rest of you!

9 Comments:

  • Sorry you had the problem with your blog. Maybe try to copy this code into your old blog. It might bring things back together. Backup the template first just in case.

    Thanks for the advice, yea perhaps I am cheating a bit to much stretching the recoveries. Live and learn.

    By Blogger Bob, at 7:08 PM  

  • Glad to see you're back up and running (har har) ! And I am sooo envious of you and the fall, cool weather, autumn leaves, running!

    By Blogger Taryn, at 7:47 PM  

  • Ah... you've joined the garmin world.. welcome, i think you'll like it..

    By Blogger yumke, at 8:14 PM  

  • Thank goodness that you moved. It was SO crazy!

    Awesome runs. You are doing GREAT!!

    By Blogger Firefly's Running, at 10:57 PM  

  • I was wondering what that beta blocker thing was. I still don't know what it is but hope you figure it out. And now I know not to sign in to beta blocker out of curiousity - nice job on the runs

    By Blogger Nicole, at 5:39 PM  

  • Ryan....Baby...Do you know how many shoes you could purchase instead of buying that Garmin??? Are you crazy? **giggle giggle** :-)

    By Blogger Running Rabbit, at 8:23 PM  

  • Gotta love the Garmin...sorry to see you had frustrating technical problems with your blog!!

    By Blogger Tara, at 7:54 AM  

  • I just found your blog. Congrats on the Garmin...I'm still debating about getting one. BTW, I'm training for Chicago, but I'll be waaaayyyy behind you!

    By Blogger TX Runner Girl, at 10:45 AM  

  • Hope you get your blog situation all figured out. I'll look forward to the stats.

    By Blogger robtherunner, at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home