Ryan's Marathon Training Blog - Part Deux

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Week 12 complete - Down to 6 weeks to go

I keep racking up the miles but I must say that I need a confidence boost. It's hard going this far in between races when working towards such a goal. The CDC was already 4 weeks ago.

I know I can run 20 miles or 18 miles or whaterver... but I don't know what kind of pace I can do it at now. People say "but you ran a 1:30 half". Big deal... racing a 30k would be another type of test.

A local running group in Connecticut plans a Boston Build-Up racing series and it helps those who are Boston-bound really track progress.

I think CARA should try to create a Chicago Build-Up race series that links in with the marathon here. All of us in the Chicago area needs a 30k race for this coming weekend or last (5 or 6 weeks out).

Saturday, Sept 9

I made the inaugural run with the Garmin Forerunner 305 on Saturday. Pretty sweet device. I ran 17 miles along the tree-covered Illinois Prairie Path and it seemed to get great reception. I really like the projected split pace feature.

I had 17 on the agenda, thanks to Pfitz, but the CARA team was only doing 12. The Prairie path has mile splits, and inevitably the Garmin seemed to be out of sync with the markers. No problemo, however, as we finished up and my Garmin read 12.02. Just about right on.

I added on another 5 solo after the group retired to the start point. Last 5 mile pace was about 7:36 per mile. Pretty strong finish.

Calories burned had to be off. Garmin said 3300 burned. No f'n way. Oh well, it's the least important stat.

TIME: 2:12:12
AVG PACE: 7:47 per mile
AVG HR: 152 bpm

We capped off our evening with a concert at the Ravinia festival watching Hootie!

Summary of week

Although I hit 48 of 49 miles, I did get in all of my runs. Friday's run, I cut short by 1 mile and did not run LT pace as I had planned. I just didn't feel well. I am blaming it on my diet (greasy pizza the night before).

Now that the parents are heading home, I need to get my eating back on track.

All in all, it's progress. Curious to see if I can run 7:15-7:25 this coming Saturday with the fastest pace group for at least 14 miles.


Upcoming week plan

Mon 9/11 - 8 general aerobic
Tue 9/12 - 9 miles with VO2 max - 5x1000m at 5k pace - jog 2 min in btw
Wed 9/13 - Rest
Thu 9/14 - 12 miles
Fri 9/15 - 5 miles recovery
Sat 9/16 - 17 miles with 14 at marathon race pace
Sun 9/17 - Rest

4 Comments:

  • Awesome run!! You are doing awesome!

    By Blogger Firefly's Running, at 10:23 PM  

  • I am interested in getting down and geeky with the Garmin 305. I looked at Buy.com for the $256 with no shipping deal you mention to no avail. Do you have anymore details or is that sale just over?

    By Blogger TwentySixTwo, at 5:34 PM  

  • Ryan,
    Through the long draught I just went through (8 weeks) I found it helps to take a specific workout and make it a 'guage' workout. The two workouts I have made into gut checks are the long run and a VO2 workout.

    I see this week you have a 1000m repeat workout...think about making that longer and do 800m. All in all, you only do 3 miles of speed. Try, if not this week sometime soon a 10x800m with 2 minute recovery. I McMillan'ed a 19:00 5k and that has a 'speed' 800m split coming out at 2:55. So I would say if you can do 10 of these you are well on your way.

    I think your Sat long run you should run 3 miles @ 7:45 pace and then 14 @ 7:10-7:12 pace.

    Both of these are high intensity so treat them like races. This means both befoe and after...from every aspect include pre-run planning, meals, recovery,etc.

    That helps me and gives me the confidence to say, if I can run that workout, I can run the race it is designed off of.

    By Blogger Steve, at 9:49 PM  

  • I agree that a 30K race would be ideal at this point, but 12-14 miles at goal marathon pace would be a great test as well. Good luck with the upcoming week.

    By Blogger robtherunner, at 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home