Ryan's Marathon Training Blog - Part Deux

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Week 14 update - Yassos rock

First, my thanks to Bob on the coaching he provided to get the Garmin data into blogland. So cool. Still giddy from this past Saturday's run, I thought I would post my data from a kick-ass 20-miler.


Now, onto more recent business. My plan for this week is/was as follows:


Mon - 7-8 miles easy - "partial" recovery pace
Tue - 10 mile track workout - including 10x800 Yasso repeats
Wed - Rest
Thu - 4-mile recovery
Fri - 9 miles incl. 7 at near LT pace (to simulate race tune-up) - travel to Philly for Steve's wedding
Sat - 15-17 miles - in Philly
Sun - Rest - fly home
TOTAL: 47-49 mile target

Mon 9/18 - I wanted to do the 8 miler semi-easy. Not too fast, but not all the way to recovery pace. Recovery pace is 8:50'ish. EZ pace is about 8 or slightly slower. I did the 8-miles in 8:11 per without stopping for any breaks.

Tue 9/19 - I decided to run in the evening with the CARA group to get a team speed workout in with morale support. Again, I ran with Jim, our group leader, with whom I ran on Saturday long. He's mid-to-late 40's and a great runner. He ran a 1:28 at our recent half marathon and is ontrack for sub-3:10.

It was COOL on Tuesday night. I did a 2.5 mile warm-up before our Yasso 8oo repeats. Our target was to do the 800m's in 3:05 with a 400m recovery of the same time. In summary, we knocked out 10 of these bad boys in an average of 3:04 per 800m. It was pitch black when we got done.

Great stuff. And I felt pretty solid all the way through. We cooled down with another mile and then headed to the pub for burgers and beers.

Today.... rest, baby!






4 Comments:

  • Isn't garmin smart enough to show you your "avg pace" for the entire run at each split - not just that particular mile? Like it should have a cumulative time at each mile and then divide by the number of miles. Same with "avg speed" - that's just the avg for that mile. Max speed looks useless. Not sure what you do with "total calories."

    Seriously, I can get lap splits (and cumulative time) on my $30 Timex - it just doesn't tell me where each mile marker is. I guess that's where the other $270 come into play.

    Just messing with you, Ryan. This was a great run whether or not you have a garmin, a timex or nothing at all.

    By Blogger Chad Austin, at 6:07 AM  

  • Awesome Yassos!!

    By Blogger Firefly's Running, at 6:05 PM  

  • I plan on adding in the Yasso's on the next training cycle for the Seattle Marathon at the end of November. I cannot get in many miles these days, but I think running faster on a day to day basis has helped me tremendously. I should preface that by saying that I do believe more miles would make me faster, but unfortunately at this time in my life it is not my priority. Keep it rollin Ryan!

    By Blogger robtherunner, at 6:00 PM  

  • today is one of only two (ok, maybe three, but only if you guys make a bowl game) days that you'll hear me say this this year...

    GO GREEN!

    [the other, of course, is the day y'all play OSU]

    By Blogger mouse, at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home