Ryan's Marathon Training Blog - Part Deux

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Excitement is building - 4 days to go - My itinerary

After yesterday's 6 mile recovery run yesterday, Pfitz said I should put in a dress rehearsal 7-miler w/2 miles race pace at lunch today.

I dunno, I think I am ready. That's all I can say. I wasn't sure if my HR was supposed be as high as it was during the race pace miles, but I think it was wind and incline impacting it. Maybe it's nerves.

I'm not even going to comment on the weather forecast. What can we do. Nothing.

Here is the draft agenda for the weekend.

SATURDAY, 10/21

6:00 AM Rise
6:30 AM Easy 3 miler - 8:50-9:00 pace
1:30 PM Leave to go downtown
2:15 PM Arrive downtown to park for Expo
2:30 PM Pick up number and mindlessy shop running gear at Expo
4:00 PM Meet Steve and Aaron (Pittsburgh friends and Boston co-hopefuls!) - Peer pep talk and race strategy
5:00 PM Drive back home - Pass on the Italian dinner invitation at Maggiano's with the guys and their wives, because I am deathly afraid of a bathroom issue on race day
6:00 PM Make own, special dinner consisting of:


Grilled chicken sandwich - mmm... with BBQ and Red Hot, L, T and O
Rice-a-roni - Rice Pilaif flavor - plenty of it, too - high in sodium to prevent hydration and loaded with carbs!
Small salad with almonds and lite ranch dressing
Half gatorade/Half water beverage

7:00 Watch World Series Game 1 - DETROIT TIGERS HOSTING ...???
8:45 PM Lights out

SUNDAY, 10/22 - MARATHON RACE DAY


4:45 AM Rise & shine
4:45-4:48 AM - Visualize success, face my fears and hop out of bed for the biggest running day of my life
4:48-5:01 AM Bathroom time
5:01-5:05 AM Make breakfast consisting of:

3 slices of toast with honey
1 Quaker low-fat granola bar (mmm... Smores flavor)
Plenty of gatorade

5:05-5:09 AM Eat breakfast
5:09-5:14 AM Suit up
5:20-6:05 AM Leave house -- Arrive at Monroe St. Garage and Park
6:20 AM Meet Steve, Aaron and CARA Group in Charity Village

6:45 AM Stretch / more bathroom time / hydrate carefully
6:45-7:15 AM - ANTICIPATE!
7:35 AM - Head over to Preferred 1 Start corral
7:45 AM - Lock in my position with the New Balance 3:10 pace time
8:00-8:05 AM Hear the horn - walk to the start - and run into my own personal history
8:05-11:10 AM Run steadily and intelligently with dedication, poise, pride and passion - not to be wavered or impeded from success - at any point in the race - Celebrate with the city of Chicago, my fellow runners and spectators
11:15 AM - Cross the finish in 3:10, shed tears of joy and personal disbelief, find my wife

6 Comments:

  • Ryan, be confident you have put in the work and you can get this done. Good plan and good luck my friend. Now run you bastard run!!!

    By Blogger Bob, at 6:23 AM  

  • awesome plan. you are going to do great. try and get lots of sleep on Friday night becuase you might not get much sleep on Saturday night.

    By Blogger LeahC, at 6:42 AM  

  • Looks like a great plan. You'll do well! You're training will get you your BQ. I agree about the weather. There's nothing you can do about it. Just be happy that whatever the weather is, there will be about 40,000 other people to share the experience with!

    By Blogger Arcaner, at 6:36 PM  

  • VERY awesome plan. You can do it!

    By Blogger Firefly's Running, at 8:29 PM  

  • Great plan!!!!
    Best of luck - go get your BQ time I know you can do it.

    Go CARDS

    By Blogger Nicole, at 11:12 AM  

  • Good luck - you're going to kick butt!

    By Blogger mg, at 8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home