Ryan's Marathon Training Blog - Part Deux

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Week 15 complete - Downhill stretch to race day

I am feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. We had our friends, Kim and Mike, stay with us for three full days, which was fun, but it is hard to keep your routine when you're trying to entertain. We went downtown 3 times out of the last 4 days.

The fact that the marathon is 21 days away is exciting. I am dying to get out there and rock this 26.2 mile course. Whether or not I achieve my goal of 3:10:59.

Fri 9/29 - Easy recovery run of 5.5 miles @ 8:39 pace. We went off to Wrigley with our friends to watch the Cubbies lose.

Sat 9/30 - 20 miles long - our last 20-miler of the training. Pace was an average of 7:25 per mile. Recap below.

I was up in plently of time on Sat AM, but I left late to arrive at Running Ambitions in Wheaton at 6:55. Usually, they head off at 7, but I guess they're were chompin' at the bit to run. That's what happens when you live 20 miles away.


So I missed the group. I was furious with myself. I headed east on the path on my own wondering if they headed the same way, but I saw no one. I did 2 miles out and then back towards the store to get some Gatorade at the meeting point. I then headed north on the Prairie Path resigned to being alone and mentally preparing for 20 strong miles in solitude.

By good luck, I ran into Jim and Matt coming back from there first 5-mile leg. It worked out perfectly as I had just completed my fifth mile. Amazingly, our mileage was in sync. So I turned 180 degrees and ran with them.

My first 5 solo miles were around 7:40. I was hoping these guys would keep it to no faster than 7:30's, as I didn't want to go race pace. Inevitably, there were some fast miles, but all and all we had an outstanding run. Another solid 20-miler.


I feel like I can do this 3:10 marathon. I know it will be tough. As I long as I keep even pace, my gut tells me I'll be in position to get that BQ time through 21-22 or so. I've got results that suggest that. It's really whether or not I can hold pace for the last 4-5 miles. I really think that's what it will come down to.


This week's schedule - as written by Pfitzinger:

Mon - 8 miles w/5x600m at 5k pace
Tue - 5 miles recovery

Wed - Rest
Thu - Recovery + speed 4 miles w/6x100m strides
Fri - 8-10k tune-up race
Sat -
Med-long 16 miles
Sun - Rest

I'm somewhat skeptical of the 8-10k tune-up race, especially since there is no race for me to do. (Read: I don't feel like "racing" a pretend race alone again). Not sure what I will do on Friday. I'm also not thrilled about the Monday speed work - right after a 20-miler with only one day's rest?

4 Comments:

  • Congrats on finishing your 20-miler. Glad you found some folks to run with. I have done a 15-miler alone and it was bad...plus, I run at a much slower pace (~12 min/mile), so I was out there for hours. Boring!

    By Blogger TX Runner Girl, at 11:23 AM  

  • Nice job ryan. the speed work isn't too bad since it's a step-back week in that you only have to do 600m intervals unlike the 1200m last week and 1600m next week.

    By Blogger Arcaner, at 9:06 PM  

  • Congrads on the 20 miler. Enjoy the taper!

    By Blogger Firefly's Running, at 7:35 PM  

  • You got that last 20 miler done and now are in the home stretch. Stay focused and positive Ryan. YOU CAN DO IT!

    By Blogger robtherunner, at 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home