Ryan's Marathon Training Blog - Part Deux

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Week 16 recap - My first all-out mile and 13 days of focus

It is Sunday evening of my 18th week of training and I feel tired. The irony is that the fatigue is not from running. It's from all the extracurricular activities in which we have partaken this past 10 days.

Yes, I've been putting in the mileage without any issue. I am hitting every single mile and every single workout. It's the social/work life that's been tolling me. Between our friends in last weekend, the party we hosted last night and the Chicago Bears game today, I feel like I need some down time. Admittedly, I was a bit hung over today from our party.

I tapered down to 42 miles this week, which was right on target with my plan. Now I am really ready to rest up. For the next 13 days, I want to keep my mind focused on the goal to run my best possible race. Yes, I have a day job and there will be work to do outside of running. But Success in Chicago on 10/22 is a vision that is constantly in view for me.

The highlight of the week was the self time trial of 1 mile. My new (and first ever) unofficial PR for a 1 mile speed run: 5:36.
McMillan says this points me to a 3:09 marathon. This is right where I want to be.


I am ready. I am prepared. I need to relax, recover and plan for the best day of running in my life. I will do this over the next 13 days.

Recap of the 2nd half of the week's runs:

Thurs 10/5 - 5 miles at recovery pace of 8:46

Fri 10/6 - Total of 8 miles - Did the 2nd mile hard as a time trial in 5:36. Ran on a pancake flat sidewalk on Van Dyke for a straight hard mile. Remaining mileage was around 8's.

Sat 10/7 - 16 miles on the Prairie Path. Beautifully cool morning in Western Chicago and this was an easy 16 miler. I did the 16 in about 7:46 per mile average. Heart rate was in check around 150 bpm.

Week 17 plan:


Mon 10/9 - 7 miles w/8x100m strides

Tue 10/10 - Rest - need to swap with Wed due to travel to L.A.

Wed 10/11 - V02 max - 8 miles w/3x1600m @ 5k race pace

Thu 10/12 - Rest

Fri 10/13 - Recovery + speed 5 mi w/6x100m strides

Sat 10/14 - 12 miles

Sun 10/15 - Rest with 1 week to go

Mileage target: 32

7 Comments:

  • Nice job on the mile. Those are just about as tough as any other part of the training. At least they are over with quick.

    By Blogger robtherunner, at 6:00 PM  

  • Wow, a lot of speedwork in your taper.. Great job on the mile. did you do it on a track?

    By Blogger yumke, at 6:25 PM  

  • Nope, I did it on a straightaway pancake flat stretch of sidewalk out here in the flatlands of Plainfield, IL. Garmin was the mileage readout. I assumed that since it was completely flat and straight, it couldn't be far off.

    By Blogger Ry, at 6:36 PM  

  • Nice mile, Ryan!

    I sense a trip to Bean town in your future!

    By Blogger Running Jayhawk, at 9:28 PM  

  • Dude you seem so focused, centered and ready for this race. I am very impressed with your dedication and ability to stick to the plan. You are on the cusp, my fingers are crossed for you Ryan.

    By Blogger Bob, at 6:28 AM  

  • Nice job on the tapering. You will do great.

    By Blogger Firefly's Running, at 10:19 PM  

  • 5:36 - you are awesome! Go for boston.

    By Blogger Nicole, at 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home