Ryan's Marathon Training Blog - Part Deux

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Week 16 - Start to taper - 18 days to go

I am ready. I just wish it wasn't 18 days away. I want to run Chicago 26.2 now. But I know patience and rest will help me accomplish the feat that I have chased. 3:10.

Mon 10/2 - 8 miles with 5x600m repeats

I warmed up with 2 miles before I began the repeats. I was not happy initially about this since I didn't think I was totally recovered from Sat's 20-mile run. But the intervals went well. I call them "pseudo-intervals" since I didn't do them on a track (locked up!). I rely on Garmin to read of 0.38 of a mile, which is about 600m, and I ran them on a straight sidewalk. My goal was to do each of these in about 2:18 to 2:20 per 600m, which is around5k pace.


Total distance: 8.0 - Time: 1:02:26 - Avg pace: 7:48 - Avg HR: 147


Tue, 10/3 - 5-mile recovery

I hit the Quick Trainer on Garmin and went out for 5 miles at 8:50 pace.

Wed 10/4 - Rest & cross-train?

Today is a rest day. I've decided I may head to the gym tonight to get on the bike. I could also do some stretching and light strength training.

I weighed in this morning at 171.0. I'm up a couple of pounds up from late last week. I really need to watch my weight over the next 2.5 weeks 'til race day. My goal race day weight is 169 lbs or less. Every extra pound could mean extra seconds.

Rest of week plan

Thu 10/5 - Recovery + speed - 5 miles w/6x100m strides
Fri 10/6 - 8 miles w/ 1 mile speed test- 1-MILE - GOAL: 5:35 - Warm-up mile + Easy 6 after hard mile
Sat 10/7 - 16 miles
Sun 10/8 - Rest
Mileage goal for week: 42

5 Comments:

  • VERY nice taper week.

    By Blogger Firefly's Running, at 4:01 PM  

  • I know I want the race here as well.
    You sound set for your goal - rest!

    By Blogger Nicole, at 5:45 PM  

  • 16 miles! I'm not going anywhere near that during my taper :)

    By Blogger yumke, at 7:28 PM  

  • We gotta spice this up a bit babe! hmmmm.... :-)

    By Blogger Running Rabbit, at 6:43 PM  

  • Prep the mind...don't just taper for the body.

    Put your race goal on paper and stick that in your running shoes.

    By Blogger Steve, at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home